Will Power

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Future Excites Solskjaer

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer called time on a glorious playing career on Tuesday, and told ManUtd.com that he is proud of what he has achieved at United, and positive about what the future holds in a coaching role with the club...

How difficult was it to make the decision?
It actually wasn’t difficult to make at all. I was very relieved when I spoke to the Gaffer and David Gill. It’s been well-documented that my knee has not been 100 per cent. And last week when it flared up in training it made the decision for me because it means that I wouldn’t be able to play at the level I want to for this club. I also have to think about my long-term health as well.

Were you glad, then, that you got to play your part last season?
That meant a lot. When I was out for so long before, it was always my ambition not only to play again and pull on the United shirt, but I also wanted to lift the Premier League trophy. That was my big dream. I had set myself targets of playing and scoring again in front of the Stretford End, but the ultimate aim was to win the league again. So, in that sense, last season was a fantastic experience for me and I’m glad I was able to enjoy that.

You played 366 games and scored 126 for United in 11 years at Old Trafford. What do you think when you look back on your career here?
I think I can say that I have given my all, given everything I could as a player to Manchester United. I’m proud to have been a part of this fantastic club, and played under such a brilliant manager. I’ve also played alongside some great players and made some great friends here. I’ve had some fantastic experiences that are too numerous to just list here and now. Most of all, the fans have been magnificent. The people of Manchester and the club’s fans all around the world have given me a different perspective of how passionate people can be about football. I really have to thank the fans a lot because they have always supported me, not only when I was on the pitch, also in the more difficult times when I was coming back from injury.

You've always had a really good rapport with the fans and there will be plenty of supporters that will be sorry not to see you play again?
I’ll be sad not to walk out on the pitch again. It’s almost become a habit of mine for over a decade. I’ve felt like it was home walking out at Old Trafford. That’s never going to happen again, but life goes on and no footballer plays forever. Every player’s career ends, and my time is now. I’ll miss the buzz of playing at Old Trafford and being in the dressing room with all the lads, but I’m a positive person and I always look forward.

What does the immediate future hold for you?
I’ll do my coaching badges and, as I have discussed with the manager already, I will start my coaching education here with United. We’ve not had serious discussions in terms of defining what that role will be, but the gaffer has been great with me ever since the decision to retire was made. There is an offer to coach here, and that is something I’m pleased about.

So, the prospect of coaching excites you?
Yes, definitely. I’m not one for dwelling on the past, that’s not in my nature. I’m looking forward and I’m very excited about working… on the other side of the line, if you like. It will be very challenging, which is important, and I’m pleased that I’ll make my first steps into coaching at this club. Whenever I’ve thought about coaching I’ve always wanted to work at United, it feels right. But you never know if you’ll be wanted, so when the manager told me there might be a place I was absolutely delighted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home