Will Power

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Injury Update -- Mikael Silvestre

Mikael Silvestre is making steady progress in his gruelling rehabiliation from cruciate knee ligament damage.

The French defender sustained the injury in September's win at Everton, but he is hoping to be back in action before the end of the season.

On a short family holiday in New York, Mikael told the New York Times: "I have been doing five, six hours a day of rehab since I got injured. It is a bit boring and very tiring because I only stay in the gym and don't get to go on the field.

"I'm not even running outside yet, only in the pool. I'm not even touching the ball. It is a long process and a long time without enjoying myself on the field."

The 30-year-old international expects to take part in some Reserve team action before making a senior return, and he is confident that he will prove a useful squad addition as the season draws to a hectic finale.

"I know if I come back to my best then I will be able to play again because there are so many games. You always get an opportunity to play," he said.

"I know I will have to play in the Reserves first, at least one or two games. Play 45 minutes, then an hour-and-a-half. You can't go straight back to the first team. That's what happens usually, it will be the same for me."

As an enforced spectator for the vast majority of the season, Silvestre has been impressed with United's form thus far - and in particular with the Reds' summer signings.

"We are again competing for the championship," he said. "I think the club has made some great signings to improve again the quality of the team, which gives us a lot of confidence to win the league again and the Champions League.

"The team is the same as last year, plus new quality in Carlos Tevez, Nani and Owen Hargreaves. It's great."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home