Will Power

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Sir Alex: I Will Quit Before I Am 70

Sir Alex Ferguson admits he will not be United manager by the time he turns 70, and says he won't remain a part of the club and cast a shadow over his eventual successor.

The Reds boss, who turns 67 in December, still has unquenchable enthusiasm for United and football, but in "two or three seasons" he says he'll have earned a rest.

"I think no more than three years - maybe two more," he told Sky Sports. "I'll keep the enthusiasm up long past 70 - whether I'll still be doing the football, I'm not so sure about that.

"Anyway, I deserve a rest. After you've done 21, 22 or 23 years – after a couple more seasons – you need one. I have also got to respect my wife too, because she's suffering. She's not a football fan, she's an Alex Ferguson fan."

Sir Alex doesn't see United's next boss as having had to have played for the club. "It's not a prerequisite for the job," he said. "I didn't play for United, and Matt Busby played for Man City. It will be down to ability and how well some managers are doing at the time."

Carlos Queiroz, the United assistant manager, would have to be in a strong position to take over. "You can't discount Carlos Queiroz," admitted the Scot. "I think he's outstanding. He's done fantastic work for the club.

"At that point I wouldn't have an interest in how it was run. It would be the manager's domain. People say that if you're about the place, you are in the road, and I don't want that – the field will be left clear.

"Whoever follows one of the greatest reigns in football management history has a tough task, but Sir Alex says that person must be wholly in charge.

"It's the most difficult job and the most important man at Manchester United is the manager - without question, the minute that ever changed it would mean a massive free-fall," he said.

"You can never allow the players to run the football club and you can never allow the supporters to run the football club. They've all a part to play. Without our supporters, we'd be nothing - without the players, we'd be nothing. They are the most important components of a football club - but somebody has to run it. Somebody has to be in charge, and the manager is the best man - and has always got to be supported."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home