Will Power

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

One Eye On The Future

Club captain Gary Neville has revealed that he is already contemplating a life in coaching - but admits that it pales in comparison to actually playing.

The 33-year-old lined up in the Reds' pre-season opener at Aberdeen on Saturday and, although he is relishing being back in action after his lengthy injury layoff, a future on the other side of the touchline is already in the back of his mind.

"I have done my coaching badges in the summer - along with Ryan Giggs and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer," Neville told the Daily Star. "But although the two weeks were good fun and hard work, it doesn't replace actually playing.

"What it did do was make me think about the fact I hadn't played for more than 12 months and that I've got to make the most of the next season and play for as long as I possibly can."

The Reds' skipper has a year remaining on his contract and, regardless of what the future holds, he is intent on making the most of the coming season in order to prolong his playing career at Old Trafford.

"I'm into the last year of my contract, so I've got to do my best and try to maintain my existence at United because this is the only club I want to play football for," he said.

"It's difficult as regards the future because at the age of 33 or 34 you have to start thinking about what you are going to do once you stop.

"At that age you feel like you are about to fall off a cliff because there's nothing you can do to replicate the last 15 years. You have to try to find something. Hopefully I can keep that at bay for two years."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home