Will Power

Monday, August 11, 2008

Neville Praises Tevez

Gary Neville spoke about two sides of Carlos Tevez's game after the striker inspired United to glory in the 2008 Community Shield.

The Argentinian was a constant threat to Portsmouth and scored the Reds' first kick in the victorious penalty shoot-out. But Tevez's angry reaction after being outrageously rugby-tackled in the box by Hermann Hreidarsson could have resulted in a red card.

"I didn't see Carlos' reaction," admitted Neville, "but I imagine it would have been one of frustration.

"It looked (like it should have been) a penalty (to United) from where I was. If a player doesn't get the decision that he wants, then the emotion of the game and the importance of it means they are going to react.

"We can't take that human element out of football. It's just a case of keeping the reaction under control."

Tevez had no such trouble controlling the ball as he buzzed around the pitch in his first Wembley appearance for the Reds. Neville was delighted to witness it, especially at first-hand.

"He's probably been our most exciting player in pre-season," said Gary.

"He's been fantastic throughout all the games. He caused Portsmouth a lot of problems and could have had one or two goals. He was deservedly the (match sponsor's) man of the match.

"As for me, it was fantastic, just to get a competitive game under my belt. After being out for so long, I was just happy being out there with the lads and being part of it again. Hopefully this season I can contribute and earn my corn."

Neville now aims to lead out the team against Newcastle next Sunday, after reporting no adverse reaction to his first competitive start since March 2007.

"Touch wood, I didn't feel anything. Apart from picking up something in Nigeria, I've had a decent pre-season.

"I trained all last week. I just need more games really for my sharpness."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home