Will Power

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Exclusive: Adem Ljajic Q & A

He may not be able to join the club officially until next January, but Serbian youngster Adem Ljajic has been in Manchester for a few days to train with his future team-mates.

Regarded as Serbia’s brightest young talent, the 17-year-old is an attacking midfielder blessed with vision and intelligence.

Ljajic (pronounced ‘yaich’) will continue his footballing education at Partizan Belgrade until next January, but will make regular trips to Carrington to allow United’s coaches to monitor his progress.

During his latest visit, ManUtd.com sat down with Adem (and fellow countryman Zoran Tosic, who acted as translator) to discuss his hopes for the future at Old Trafford…

When did you first hear about United’s interest and how excited are you at the prospect of playing for the club?
I first heard they were interested in me about a year-and-a-half ago, which I was very excited about. I spent a week at Carrington training with the first team, which I really enjoyed, and I feel very happy to be a Manchester United player. Everyone at the club has made me feel very welcome and I’m looking forward to joining in January.

How does the training at United differ to what you’ve been used to in Serbia?
The quality is very high over here because you’re training with great players, but the main difference is it’s much quicker. I have enjoyed it very much and training with these top players can only help me improve. Training with the team has allowed me to see how things work so I know what to expect when I come here. And I hope that when I join in January I will be involved with the first team from the start.

What have you learned from the other players so far?
I am a big admirer of all of them and I learn things from them in every session. I try to copy what they do and I hope I can keep improving.

For those United fans who have not seen you in action, how would you describe yourself as a player?
[Laughs] I think I am good technically – I like to dribble with the ball and I am quick.[Tosic gives his own evaluation] Adem is a very good player with great technical ability. He likes to play just behind the striker or on the right side of midfield. We played together for around six months at Partizan and we worked well together – me on the left and him on the right. He has just under a year left in Serbia to keep practicing for when he joins and when he arrives I think he’ll be ready to play for the first team. And I’m sure that when he starts playing for United, the fans will love him.

Adem, how much has it helped having fellow countrymen Nemanja Vidic and Zoran at the club?It’s been great. I have spent a lot of time with them whenever I have been over in Manchester and they have both shown me around the city. It can be hard when you move to a new country and don’t know anyone and are yet to learn the language, so it’s been fantastic to have them both here.[Tosic continues] Vida told us what a great place United was before we joined, but both Adem and I knew what an amazing club it was. I’ve been a big United fan since they won the Treble in ’99 and have watched every game I could in Serbia between then and now. Our family and friends are very excited to see us at United and we both feel very proud to have signed.

Sir Alex Ferguson has always put a lot of faith in the club’s young players. Is he one of the major reasons why you joined?
Ljajic: Yes, he is a great manager. I was very excited to meet him and although Vida had to translate for us, we had a good discussion. I am looking forward to working with him.
Tosic: He is a fantastic manager who has always given young players a chance. We saw the way he brought Giggsy, Beckham, Scholesy and Gary into the team and help them develop. We hope he will do the same with us and help us improve.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home