Will Power

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Vidic: Award Talk An 'Honour'

Nemanja Vidic says it is a 'big honour' to be considered one of the major candidates for the Player of the Year award.

The Serbian has been a tower of strength at the heart of United's backline this season and featured in every league game of the Reds' record-breaking clean sheet run.

As well as being on top form in defence, the 27-year-old has also made his mark in attack with seven goals, the most of recent which came in the 2-0 victory over Internazionale.

Many pundits believe Vidic would be a deserved winner of the Player of the Year crown, although team-mate Ryan Giggs is also likely to be in with a shout of scooping the honour.

Vidic himself has been pleased with his form this season, but says his overall improvement since joining the Reds in January 2006 is what's given him the most satisfaction.

"It's definitely been a good season for me, but what I'm most pleased about is the way I have improved since I joined," he told ManUtd.com. "As a player you want to improve every year and I feel like I have done that.

"Just to be a candidate [for Player of the Year] is a big honour for me. There are so many great players in the Premier League and I'm just happy to be a part of it. But it's a big thing for me to be considered.

"The fact I have scored a few goals this season has helped me," he added. "People notice your game a bit more when you score.

"Of course, this season we have had a great run in the league with 14 consecutive clean sheets and I was involved in that. When the team does well, individuals also get praise and I'm very happy to receive that."

Nemanja was talking to ManUtd.com, PA Sport, BBC Radio and Key 103.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home