Will Power

Monday, May 11, 2009

Fergie Quiet Over Tevez Future

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has brushed aside questions about the future of Carlos Tevez.

The Manchester United striker told the News of the World he thinks he will leave the club in the summer having not been offered a new contract.

But Ferguson, speaking after United's 2-0 victory over Manchester City in which Tevez scored, is refusing to quash speculation over Tevez's future.

"I didn't read any of the papers. He's a Manchester United player," he said.

Tevez scored a wonderful 45th minute goal for United, firing the ball into the back of the net in off the post from the edge of the area.

The Argentina striker then ran to his manager cupping his ears while the Old Trafford faithful sang, "Fergie, sign him up."

The 25-year-old is a favourite of the Manchester United fans, who have made no secret of their desire for him to stay.

"They love a trier and that's exactly what he is," added Ferguson.

But when pressed, the Old Trafford chief refused to answer further questions on Tevez, despite the player voicing his concerns in the papers.

"I am very sad about this but I guess what I'm saying is goodbye," the striker told the News of the World.

"I don't think I'll be a United player next season. I've done everything I possibly can but they have never made me an offer or given me a contract.

"I have not been treated as a member of the family. The fans treat me like family but United have not signed me so they don't respect me as a footballer."

Tevez joined United in the 2007 close-season on a two-year loan deal which ends this summer.

His first English club was West Ham and he became a free agent when his agent Kia Joorabchian paid the Hammers a £2m settlement.

Tevez said he is still committed to helping United this season, despite not holding down a regular place in the side, adding: "I still have the same hunger and I will give my all to win the last two trophies we are chasing so I can move on knowing I have done everything for the team.

"Things have changed dramatically this season. I was dropped but didn't perform badly. Sir Alex never gave me an explanation but I never asked him for one because it is not in my character."

The Argentine international said he would not rule out moving to one of United's Premier League rivals at the end of the season.

"I would like to thank the United fans for their support, they will always have a special place in my heart," he added.

"If I was a United fan I wouldn't want to see their player in any other shirt but I think they will accept I've done everything I can."

Tevez starting the game for Man. United in the Manchester derby against Man. City.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home