Will Power

Saturday, May 23, 2009

O'Shea Delighted By Prolonged Run

John O'Shea says regular football is more important to him than picking up medals as a bit-part player.

The 28-year-old has been one of United's unsung heroes this season producing a string of consistent performances primarily at right-back.

Sir Alex Ferguson has guaranteed O'Shea a starting berth in Rome on Wednesday night as a reward for his loyal service and the Irishman is relishing the chance to face Barcelona.

"You could say I have been rewarded for my patience, but I was always confident that if I got a run in the side I’d be able to show why I can stay in there," he said.

"I’d never just stay at a club for the sake of winning a medal. If I felt I wasn’t playing a part [then I'd look at things], I’d never just stay for the medals. That has always been the case.

"I was close to getting on in last year’s final and it’ll be a great to play in this one although you never actually know for sure that you're playing until the manager names the team in the meeting before the game.

"It’s been a huge squad effort this season and everyone has played a part in getting us to the final."

O'Shea highlights Sir Alex's man-management skills as the prime reason behind his ability to get the best out of every player and ultimately win trophies.

"It is difficult to keep everyone happy but being successful is a key," says the Irishman. "If you’re winning things it makes it little bit easier when you’re left out of certain games

"Look at the size of squads at big clubs in Europe now. You can't win things with 11 players. The teams who will be successful will have between 18 and 22 playing a part.

"It's the man-management side that does it. He makes you feel involved. He might come around and say 'You are not playing Saturday but you are playing on Wednesday and I want you ready for that game'.

"It's those little things that make him the best in the business."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home