Will Power

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Macheda: I Will Learn From Owen

Pinched arms might be a common complaint in the United treatment room this summer as players young and old come to terms with their surroundings.

Federico Macheda and Michael Owen in particular could be forgiven for wandering around Asia in a state of disbelief - twelve or even six months ago, neither could have contemplated leading the Reds' attack, let alone together. But that was the situation in Kuala Lumpur on Monday evening local time, and Kiko is clearly grateful for every opportunity.

"I have to thank Sir Alex because without him I wouldn’t have the chance to play in the first team," Kiko told MUTV. "I know I have to work hard and make sure he gives me more chances."

Macheda is driven to take opportunities on and off the field, which includes maximising the time he spends training and playing with new signing Owen - his fellow scorer in Monday's 2-0 win over the Malaysian XI.

"It’s very important for me to learn from Michael because he is one of the best strikers. If I work with him and learn, I can get better, day after day."

Sir Alex not only praised Kiko after Monday's match, he also spoke highly of the Italian earlier on the Asia Tour.

In an interview with PA Sport, the manager said:

"Macheda is top drawer, a hero in the making, just as Cristiano Ronaldo was.

"He does not have the lightning reactions of Ronaldo but he is quick around the box and he has an eye for goal. He was way in front of everyone with his finishing in training the other day - and I mean everyone. It was magnificent to see.

"It is hard to believe he is just 17. We probably need to check his birth certificate because I reckon he is at least 28!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home