Will Power

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Owen Joy At First Strike

Michael Owen was over the moon to break his United duck after firing the Reds' fourth goal in the 5-0 hammering of Wigan Athletic on Saturday.

The 29-year-old striker came off the bench on 71 minutes and, after being put through by Nani, produced a vintage finish in front of United's 5000-strong travelling support five minutes from time.

Having failed to put away a handful of chances on his previous two appearances against Birmingham and Burnley, Owen was relieved to finally get off the mark.

"I probably scored the hardest chance I've had!" he joked during an exclusive interview with MUTV. "I had two chances at Burnley and one against Birmingham, but this was the fourth real opportunity I've had.

"I don't think I missed a chance in pre-season, but I've missed a couple since the season started and as ever everyone is quick to write you off. It was as if I hadn't scored for a couple of years! That's something I've had to deal with for ten odd years now and I don't think that will change until I hang up my boots.

"It was certainly a great feeling to score. I'd got a few in pre-season but there's nothing quite like doing it in a competitive game."

With his first goal now under his belt, Owen is confident more will follow.

"I'd be disappointed if people didn't think I could go on from here," he insists. "I obviously believe I can as I have done throughout my career and I certainly expect to score more goals in the red shirt."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home