Will Power

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Berba's First Year

Dimitar Berbatov reflects on 12 successful months as a United player, and looks ahead to a similarly silver-lined future...

"My first season at United was great. I think we fulfilled half of the goals we had; we became champions again, but there was the misfortune of being beaten in the Champions League final. That was really bad for everyone, and for me personally because it was the second final I’ve lost. Hopefully it will be third time lucky for me this season.

"I think that this year is different for me. I have had a pre-season tour with the team, which I missed last year, and I really know how every player in the team plays, so I can understand them better on the pitch. Plus Sir Alex knows the best way he can use me. We have many games and I am looking forward to each one so that I can score goals and make my contribution to the team. Last season I scored some important goals, and I was very happy about that. But every player made a contribution, and that’s what it’s all about.

"It’s not about one player, it’s about the team. At every club I’ve played for, the help of your team-mates can push you forward, so you sacrifice yourself for the team and everyone’s help can make you really show your ability. Sometimes our players can make one special move or score a special goal to win the game. Sometimes you have games when you don’t play too well and you need to win ugly. Sometimes we need these games. But we have players who can play beautiful and still win, and that’s what we try to do – entertain the fans and, in the end, win everything there is to win.

"Nobody else has won four Premier League titles in a row before, and we hope that we will be the first to do it. Obviously United, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool are the main challengers, but there are teams outside the Big Four who can challenge for that spot as well. Everybody’s prepared for that and we’re hungry for more success. That’s what drives these great players forward. Some of them have won everything and yet they still want more and more and more. That’s why they play here."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home