Will Power

Friday, September 25, 2009

Welbeck Ready For More

Danny Welbeck revelled in his match-winning strike against Wolves, and admits he is living a dream by being on the fringes of first team football with United.

The Longsight-born striker bagged a superb goal against Mick McCarthy's side to register his first strike of the season, and he is already looking forward to the possibility of playing in the Carling Cup fourth round.

"I'm just like any other normal Manc boy, really," Danny told MUTV. "To be given the chance to play for United is a dream, and I'm always willing to go when asked. I need to carry on training hard and get more first team chances.

"That's all of the young boys' aim. We're just looking forward to the next round now, so just play as many youngsters as possible, Fergie!"

Welbeck's goal was fashioned by a drumskin-tight exchange with experienced goal-getter Michael Owen, and the 18-year-old prodigy was delighted with the link-up.

"Tonight it was great playing with Michael Owen, because Michael Owen's Michael Owen. You can always learn from his movement, it's unbelievable. I just knew he was around the corner and he knew where I was going next. He played it there and I finished it off well."

The evening's only negative aspect came with the early dismissal of Fabio. While Welbeck was relieved that to progress in spite of a numerical disadvantage, he did reserve sympathy for the young Brazilian.

"It looked like he slipped," he said. "He did really well to get back at first, but then he slipped and it was unlucky for him. But I think he'll take it in his stride and become a better player for that.

"I thought we did really well to be fair, being down to 10 men for an hour. We went one upfront so I was playing as a left winger- striker kind of role. I just had to get used to the game, get a few more touches on the ball and then the goal came, so I was pleased with that."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home