Will Power

Thursday, October 15, 2009

O'Shea Looking Forward, Not Back

John O'Shea hopes there are still plenty more chapters to write in his Manchester United career at he celebrates 10 years of first-team action.

The Republic of Ireland international made his Red Devils debut in October 1999 in a League Cup tie at Aston Villa.

O'Shea has gone from strength to strength despite periods where he seemed destined to leave Old Trafford to secure regular football elsewhere.

The Waterford-born defender has amassed 352 appearances under Sir Alex Ferguson, although it is his future that he remains concerned about.

"I don't want to look back on my Manchester United career," he said. "Fingers crossed there is lots more to come.

"I knew if I was going to leave United I would have a great grounding. The education was terrific, not only in terms of football, but maturing as a person.

"But when you look back, I guess everything has worked out okay so far. Long may it continue."

O'Shea was handed the captain's armband for United's season-opener against Birmingham and only then the realisation of his progress hit home.

The 28-year-old is proud of his achievements and success at the club, but he is not content with sticking with the silverware he has won to date.

"It worries me," he continued. "You know you are maturing and getting that bit older. I used to think I was quite young.

"Obviously you know the years are ticking by because of the age of the lads coming into the squad and the amount of games you have played.

"Overall, it is a good achievement for someone to stay 10 years at a club like Manchester United and to be involved in a lot of games and win some great trophies.

"Now I just want to continue and be a part of the team."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home