Will Power

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Obertan Shrugs Off Miss

Gabriel Obertan was relieved to finally make his Premier League debut, even if he was left to rue an embarrassing miss against Blackburn Rovers.

The French winger has had to wait almost four months to get involved with Sir Alex Ferguson's side, so his failure to convert a simple chance at the Stretford End was not at the forefront of his thinking after the Reds' 2-0 win.

"I was disappointed to miss my chance, but I was very fit and it all went well because we won in the end," Obertan told MUTV. "It's been four months now that I have been injured, so it was a good debut. I ran hard and tried to do my best.

"I think I need a bit of rhythm; a few games to be fully fit. It's going better and better and there's no reason to end it. I think I'll be better after a few games."

The 20-year-old admitted to feeling nervous before his introduction against Sam Allardyce's side, but he revealed that the presence of countryman Patrice Evra continues to help his assimilation to life at his new club.

"I was a bit nervous, but after a few minutes it was gone. I really enjoyed the game and Pat Evra was just behind me encouraging me, so it was very good. With Pat it has been easier.

"I feel like I'm here for many years now so it is good to be here and I'm just enjoying it. I'll just keep working hard to be in the squad and we'll see what the manager will do."

Sir Alex Ferguson felt for his latest debutant after his failure to score, but he remains confident that Obertan will go on to prove his worth and realise his undoubted potential.

"I thought he was a bit nervous when he came on," said the manager. "But you have to remember it’s only his second full game in eight months. You have to put his performance into perspective. But towards the end he started to settle down and do very well. Hopefully he’ll become a good addition to us."

Michael Carrick, meanwhile, flickered with mischief as he hinted at a training ground backlash for Obertan's glaring miss.

"It was great for him to finally play," said the midfielder. "It was disappointing for him not to take his chance but hopefully he’ll get many more here. I think he might get a little bit of stick for his miss. We can’t let him off for that!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home