Will Power

Friday, November 27, 2009

Vidic Rejects Exit Rumours

Centre-back Nemanja Vidic has insisted that he wants to be the rock Manchester United build their next team upon.

The 28-year-old has been the subject of persistent rumours that he is keen for a move away from Old Trafford.

But the Serb, under contract at the club until 2012, insists that he has no desire to leave north-west England.

"I am glad to have been part of this club for so many years, if I could be one of the bases on which a new team is built I would be very happy," he said.

"I have never said I want to go and play in another country. Other people have spoken or written about it and I am not happy with that.

"But I have said in the past what I think. I don't want to keep talking about it because I can't stop what people say.

"The fact is I am happy here."

It has been suggested that Vidic's advisors have been happy to let rumours about the interest from Barcelona in particular rumble on because they would bring forward talks on a new contact.

The Serbian international, rated as one of the best centre-backs in the world, cost United manager Sir Alex Ferguson £7.2m when he moved from Spartak Moscow at the end of 2005.


He has been a big success at Old Trafford, but speculation that his wife Ana is unhappy in the north-west has persisted.

Discontent rumours were fired by an interview that the player gave in Russia last year when he described the United Kingdom as "joyless" and made particular reference to the amount of rainfall he experiences in Manchester.

He also indicated a desire to play in a warmer climate at some stage in his career, but his latest comments suggest that he has had a change of heart.

"I don't want to rush and I don't want to speak about my future in the media," he said.

"I will speak about it to the club. But I don't want to push them. I don't want to push anyone.

"We will see what happens. I am here and I am happy. I have shown in the games that I want to be part of the team and to play every game 100% for this club."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home