Will Power

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Obertan: I Was Made For England

Gabriel Obertan has hit the ground running since making his long-awaited United debut in late October. The Frenchman is now hoping to make further progress, following his first Barclays Premier League start against Wolves...

So Gabriel, were you pleased with your first league start?
In the first half I was much better because I slowed down a bit. It was my first league start and I'm quite happy but I know I have to improve.

Were you nervous?
Not really, because Pat [Evra] was behind me and everyone was encouraging me to play well. I just wanted to play my game and show my qualities and hopefully I did that.

How much does it help to play on the same side as your friend Pat?
He knows how I play so it's easier for me. He can place me when we're defending, it's very helpful for me.

Is English football what you expected?
Yes. It’s quick – there’s a lot of space behind defenders. And every team wants to win the game when they play. In France, sometimes the first thing the team wants to do is not lose. But here, they all want to win. That makes the game more open and you have more chances. Every game is difficult. Even in the [4-1] win against Portsmouth it was difficult. Every game is different, and each one is like a combat, it’s a fight.

Have you had to adapt your game?
Maybe a bit, but I think my qualities were made for this type of football. So it was quite easy to fit in here. I was built for English football.

Are there any players you’ve modelled your game on?
When I was younger I liked Thierry Henry… then I liked Kaka and Cristiano Ronaldo.

What's your favourite bit of trickery?
I learned to play football in the street with my friends. And when you play street football, the things you want to do are all the tricks like nutmegs. My favourite is probably the stepover. So I like doing tricks - but only if they are effective. There's no point doing it if there's nothing at the end of it.

United have a tradition of wingers – are you an out-and-out winger?
I think for now I am a true winger. But maybe in the future I could play forward or striker. I like one-v-one – I’m quick and I like to run in behind defenders and create opportunities.

When teams put a lot of people behind the ball, does that make the winger’s job even more important?
Yes. I think wingers are very important in modern football. In the game against Besiktas [at OT in late November] it was quite difficult because all the players were like defenders. I think the winger’s role is important in that type of game.

You've already built up a good rapport with the fans...
I’m very pleased by the way they have supported me. When I hear them singing my name, the only thing I want to do is give them something back. It’s like a big boost behind you, like someone pushing you on to make that pass or score that goal. It’s inspiring.

You usually switch wings during the game. Is that something you’ve been told to do, or does it come naturally?
I just do it. If I have an opportunity to be efficient or help someone, I’ll do it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home