Will Power

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Giggs Hometown Honour

Ryan Giggs collected yet another honour this week when he was awarded the Freedom of Salford.

Giggs, although born in Wales, has lived in Salford since moving from Cardiff at the age of seven and has gone on to become the most decorated player in the history of British football.

“It means the world to me,” he said of the honour at a ceremony held at the Lowry Theatre. “It’s an unbelievable thing to happen to me and something, growing up in Salford, I never thought would happen.

“I’ve won a lot in my football career but this honour is right up there because it recognises not only what you’ve done on the pitch but off it as well.”

Giggs paid tribute to Salford at the ceremony, admitting “everything big that has happened in my life has happened here”.

“I have friends I can trust, my family is here and I know the area. That has been a big help in my career.

“I played for Salford Boys at both rugby and football, the United training ground was at Broughton and my kids were born in Hope Hospital.”

Giggs joins an illustrious list of names, including Nelson Mandela and artist LS Lowry, to have been awarded the Freedom of Salford.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home