Will Power

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Scholes Can Keep Going

Boss Alex Ferguson wants Paul Scholes to forget thoughts of retiring by signing a new Manchester United deal.

In May last year Scholes, whose United contract ends in June, said that this season "would probably be my last".

But following his goal in United's 3-2 Champions League last-16 win at AC Milan on Tuesday, Ferguson has urged the 35-year-old to keep going.

"He is showing on the field what he is capable of and another year would not be a problem for the lad," he said.

In December an out-of-sorts Scholes, who at the time had started just seven of United's 14 Premier League games, reiterated that he was uncertain about his career plans.

"I'll just carry on with the way it's going at the moment and we'll see what happens come the end of the season," he said.

"I wouldn't say I am playing some of my best football. I don't always feel I am making as much of a contribution as I'd like to.

"I preferred it when I was playing regularly and scoring a lot more goals. It's different now."

However, Ferguson is apparently keen talks are opened on a new deal for his veteran midfielder, who has featured in 25 of United's 40 matches this season, chipping in with five goals in the process.

"I would be happy to do something about Scholes' contract but there is nothing yet," said the Scot.

"It depends on what Paul thinks himself and I haven't addressed it with him.

"But he was brilliant in Milan and his form in the last few weeks has been incredible.

"There is no need for him to think of retirement like some people were saying a few weeks ago."

Scholes, who began his illustrious Old Trafford career as a trainee, has made over 600 appearances for the Red Devils, amassing nine Premier League winners' medals and helping United claim the Champions League in 1999 and 2008.

He earned 65 England caps before retiring from the international game in 2004 to focus on his United career and his family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home