Will Power

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Rooney: My Best Season

Wayne Rooney was named PFA Players' Player of the Year on Sunday night and admits this has been his finest campaign in a United shirt yet. But the modest Reds front many says he couldn't have done it without his team-mates...

On a personal level, has this been your best season so far?
Yeah, I think so. I’ve scored a lot of goals this season and I think overall my play has been good. It’s definitely been my most prolific season in front of goal and I’m pleased with the way things have gone. But it would complete it all if we could clinch the title.

Who did you vote for as PFA Player of the Year?
I voted for Didier Drogba for the senior award and Cesc Fabregas for young player. To be honest, I was very surprised I was up for the young player award too – I think I won it about eight years ago, didn’t I? [Smiles] So I was a bit shocked to be up for it again this year.

How much do you owe to your team-mates as well – particularly someone like Antonio Valencia?
Of course, as a forward player you rely on the support and service of your team-mates. Without the support of people like Antonio, I wouldn’t be scoring goals. A lot of what I think I’ve achieved personally this season is down to that support from my team-mates.

You’ve linked up very well with Valencia. What is it you enjoy about playing alongside him?
He’s very physical, he’s quick and a strong player. He’s scored a few goals himself this season and he has the ability to create goals with his movement and his crossing, which obviously I’ve benefited from. He reminds me a lot of Andrei Kanchelskis who was here a few years ago. They’re both very traditional wingers, and I like that. Antonio has settled in very quickly and he’s had a good first year at the club which hopefully he can build on.

A lot of people put you up there with the best players in the world. Who do you think is the best?
It’s nice that people put me up there, but for me I think Messi is the best in the world. The things he can do with the ball are just unbelievable and he’s scoring a lot of goals as well. He’s been fantastic again this year, so for me he is the best player in the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home