Will Power

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Chicha Cherishes Dream Goal

Javier "Chicharito" Hernandez is hoping his first goal in the Champions League will be a springboard for many more as he continues his exciting start to life with United.

The young forward's decisive flash of penalty-area inspiration settled an otherwise largely forgettable match at the Mestalla, but the substitute insisted the outcome - a vital one-nil win for the Reds over main Group C rivals Valencia - mattered more than any personal glory.

"It was a great night. I am so happy about the goal but also it was important to get the win and three points," said Chicharito.

"I am glad I was able to play my part in the win. But our defence was very solid tonight. We appreciate that as players up front."

Making his mark on the Continent realised a dream for Chicharito, who previously watched European football from afar in his homeland.

"I always used to watch the Champions League when I was back home in Mexico," he said. "It is one of the most important tournaments in the world so I was always keeping up with it.

"To score in the Champions League, so early in my United career, is a dream come true for me, and a big boost. It will give me so much confidence."

The fact his 85th-minute winner came from the best team move in the match, involving fellow United substitute Federico Macheda and also Nani, was not lost on the Mexican predator.

"It was some great play by Nani to keep the ball and then he set Kiko away. It was a great ball in from him and I was able to put it away."

scoring at Wembley against United's biggest domestic rivals to getting the club's European quest up and running, Chicharito continues to take everything in his stride as his fledgling Reds career unfolds.

"I have been settling in well in Manchester," he added. "I have been learning and working so hard because I want to do well here, I am very motivated.

"I am enjoying it and it is great to be a United player. I want it to continue for a long time."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home