Will Power

Friday, October 29, 2010

Smalling Eager To Excel

Not so long ago Chris Smalling was preparing to study a business and economics course at university. Fast forward just over two years and the England U21 international is enjoying an education of a different kind at the biggest club in the world. And, after fearing a football career might remain a distant dream, he's determined to make the most of the opportunity…

Firstly, how much are you enjoying life at Old Trafford and are you happy with how the first few months have gone?
It’s been great so far. I’ve been made to feel very welcome by everybody which has really helped. Going on tour in the summer was key in terms of the settling in process as I got to know a lot of the lads well. It’s a real family club with a great atmosphere.

What’s impressed you most about the club?
I think the will to win. Even the senior players who have been here for years and won countless trophies always want to win, even if it’s just a training game. They never lower their standards and they’re a great example for us young lads the way they are so driven. Striving for success is what this club is all about.

Just over two years ago you were playing non-league football - can you believe how far you’ve come in that time?
Well, I always hoped I’d get a chance to prove myself at the top level because I believed I could do it, but making your way up the football ladder is tough and not everyone can make it. When I went for my trial at Fulham I’d already applied to Loughborough University to study business management with economics. I’d have been happy to go to Uni, but obviously it was my dream to play football. Joining United was a real shock but a great surprise.

How did it feel to play at Old Trafford for the first time against West Ham?
It was quite surreal. The game was won when I came on which it made it a bit easier and the fans gave me a great reception. Starting against Rangers was a great feeling. I’d been used to watching Champions League football on TV and I almost had to pinch myself when I was lined up with the famous anthem echoing round the ground.

How has playing and training alongside Ferdinand and Vidic helped you progress so far?
It’s just good to watch how they deal with different situations and I want to bring the composure they show on the ball into my game. They’ve already given me a lot of advice and confidence and it’s been good to play alongside both of them and Jonny [Evans] – I’m learning off everyone.

A lot of people, including the boss, say you remind them of a young Rio…
[Smiles] Rio is definitely someone any young centre-back should look up to if they want to become a top player. Along with Tony Adams, he was one of the people I always used to watch growing up – they’re two of England’s greatest ever defenders. All the opportunities I get to train and play with Rio will only help me.

On a personal note, what are your hopes for the rest of the season?
Just to be involved as much as I can and help the team be successful. When I was at Fulham I played about 20 or so games and I’d like to think I could get at least that amount under my belt. I’ve been given a once in a lifetime opportunity and I’m determined to make the most of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home