Will Power

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Cleverley Happy To Learn

Young Reds midfielder Tom Cleverley says moving to Wigan Athletic on loan was the right move for him at this stage in his career, and he’s determined to return – in January or in the summer – ready for the big time at Old Trafford.

Injuries in United’s midfield potentially have opened up opportunities in the Reds’ engine room this season, while Tom has suffered his own injury set-backs since swapping OT for the DW at the start of the season. But Cleverley isn’t looking back, only forwards in what is shaping up to be a very promising career in the game.

“It’s been a bit stop-start for me at Wigan,” said Tom, who missed a few games earlier this season with a knee injury. “I feel like I thrive when I’m playing regularly. It’s been a little bit frustrating being in and out of the team and being part of the rotation, but it’s understandable.

“When I’ve played I think I’ve done well,” he said, speaking to United’s matchday programme. “Hopefully I’ll get a run of games between now and Christmas. It’s all good experience. I’ve never worked under a foreign manager before so it’s nice to sample. Roberto knows football inside out, he’s teaching me things, I’m experiencing being in Premier League squads every week - it’s good for me.”

Cleverley, who couldn't play against United at the weekend due to Premier League rules, moved to Wigan because of an apparent lack of immediate first-team opportunities at Old Trafford. But with the absences of Antonio Valencia, Ryan Giggs, Anderson and Owen Hargreaves, unexpected openings have arisen.

“Maybe with hindsight things would’ve been different,” he admits. “But I just want to get my head down and do well for Wigan. I’ve got to take things as they’ve come. It’s always going to be tough for a young player coming through the ranks to break into the United first-team, but I feel like I’m progressing every year and right now I feel as ready as I’ve ever been to make my debut for Manchester United and take my chance.

“I’m happy to do whatever Sir Alex Ferguson wants of me. If he calls me back in January I’d be delighted because he’s got plans to use me, but on the other hand if he wants me to get more experience with Wigan then I’d also be happy to do that.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home