Will Power

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Vidic Loves Playing Leader

Nemanja Vidic has vindicated Sir Alex Ferguson's choice to name him United's skipper: so far this season he's been our ‘Captain Fantastic’ and arguably the Reds’ most consistent performer.

“We wanted someone who was consistently available for us; you don't leave him out of the team unless you’re going to rest him." That was how Sir Alex explained his early-season decision to hand the captain's armband to the man who's been a rock at the heart of the United defence for five years now.

"I feel very proud," Nemanja told United Review. "It came as a bit of a surprise but I’m enjoying the role. I haven’t changed anything in particular since becoming captain, but you have to think about your responsibilities – your behaviour, the way you play, the way you train... I know that I need to set a good example on and off the pitch."

But while Vida is delighted with the honour, the ever-modest defender insists he’s just one of many leaders in red.

“The likes of Rio, Gary, Giggsy, Scholesy, Edwin set the example,” says the 29-year-old. “The way they help the other players is fantastic. They have helped me develop and I want to help the younger lads do the same.”

As former skipper of Red Star Belgrade and vice-captain for his country, Vidic is well accustomed to the responsibilities that come with the armband. But he insists nothing about his mentality has changed.

“Obviously you lead the team out and do the coin toss before the game, but in terms of my game I don’t think anything has changed,” he explains. “I’ve always talked a lot on the pitch – you have to communicate as a defender and organise things whether you are captain or not.

“I tend not to think about it [the captaincy] when I’m playing; I’m just focused on doing my best for the team as I have always done.”

Whether it's in his role as captain or attacking spoilers-in-chief alongside central defensive partner Rio Ferdinand, Vidic has excelled this season. He likens playing alongside Rio to a former Serbian national team-mate Mladen Krstajić.

"Me and Rio have a great understanding on the pitch," he said. "I also have to say Mladen Krstajić and I had a great relationship for the Serbian national team. I’m not being disrespectful to the other players I’ve played with, but the results I’ve achieved with those two players shows what a good understanding we have and they have both helped me improve as a player."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home