Will Power

Friday, January 28, 2011

Edwin: I Want To Stop At The Top

Edwin van der Sar has explained the reasons behind his decision to hang up his gloves at the end of the season and bring to a close his five-year association with United and an illustrious two decades in professional football.

The 40-year-old Dutchman, who made his debut for Ajax in the 1990/91 season and subsequently went on to play for Juventus and Fulham before joining United in 2005, would like to spend more time with his family and wants to end his career while he is still at the top of the game.

In an extensive interview with MUTV, to be aired on Thursday at 18:30 GMT, van der Sar says his decision was not reached quickly or lightly. “It’s been coming for a while,” he said. “After playing for so many years, you reach a point where you have to make a decision.

“There are a couple of things to consider – whether you still have an appetite for it, your family. You have to look at yourself also. You have to ask if you can bring that top level of performance that you need at United. At the moment I am quite happy with my form and my achievements on the pitch. I just want to [leave] that on a high level.

“You can’t play Superman into your 40s. It’s a mutual decision that this season was the last. When I first came here I was just happy to sign a two-year contract. I wanted to win the league before I retired. I was lucky to achieve a little bit more than that.”

When Edwin met with Sir Alex Ferguson to discuss his decision, the two talked about one regret: not joining forces earlier. “That’s a communal thing,” says Edwin. “I spoke with the manager about that last week, he admitted it also. I’ve enjoyed it here and it would have been nice to have a few years longer here. You can say, ‘you could stay a couple more years’. But that’s life - you don’t always get what you want at the right time. I am just happy that at least we got to come together and experience a good few years.

“I’m not finished yet. I’ve still got a few months yet. I’m still aiming for something more. It’s been nice and a great experience, even at my age, to be at a club like United. It’s been a joy.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home