Will Power

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Mixed Emotions For Welbeck

Danny Welbeck has described his senior England debut as a "bittersweet moment" after entering the pitch to a crescendo of boos from the visiting Ghana supporters.

Our Longsight-born striker is eligible to play for the World Cup quarter-finalists but has chosen to stick with the country of his birth.

After receiving a late call-up to Fabio Capello's senior squad, he replaced Aston Villa's Ashley Young with nine minutes remaining at Wembley.

Welbeck's Sunderland colleague Asamoah Gyan may have grabbed a late equaliser but it was a night our 20-year-old forward will never forget.

"It was a bittersweet moment," he admitted. "I've got love for both countries but I can't play for both.

"I kind of understand that [the boos] but I can't make everyone happy.

"I've been playing for England at every single youth team level so it was a natural progression to move up to the seniors. I am obviously delighted with my progress.

"A couple of friendlies ago I was maybe going to get called up for one of them but unfortunately I got injured," he added on FATV. "So it was just a matter of waiting and getting back fit.

"It was straight to business as I got there late last night and had dinner with the lads. Everyone was very welcoming and I'm just looking to keep pushing on and improving as a player.

"It went pretty quickly tonight to be fair but just to get on the pitch and make my debut, I'm happy. Obviously they scored at the end and it was a good finish from Asa.

"I thought it was a good game and pretty exciting for all the fans to watch so I'm sure everyone went home happy."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home