Will Power

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Reds Must Get Back In The Ring

Losing two games on the bounce is a rarity at United – a sign of temperament as much as talent in the players at Old Trafford. So there’s really only one plausible response to the frustrating defeat at Stamford Bridge and the hurtful loss at Anfield in the past week: get back on the winning trail.

Unfortunately, United must wait a fortnight to get the title charge up and running again, but an FA Cup quarter-final against Arsenal this Saturday and next week’s Champions League last 16 second-leg tie with Marseille means it’s straight back in the ring for the Reds.

As one of the most experienced members of the United squad, Rio Ferdinand is well acquainted with the requirements and expectations that follow defeat, and although he is currently in worst position of all - injured and unable therefore to do anything directly about it - his attitude sums up the response that must follow.

“I was really pleased with how we bounced back from the defeat to Wolves and won against Manchester City,” he explains to Inside United magazine. “As soon as we lost, winning the next game became the most important thing in our minds. It didn’t matter who the oppnents were or how we picked up the points – we just knew we had to win. I’ve been at United for nine years and I can’t think of many occasions when we’ve lost two games back to back.

“I hate [losing]. It’s just the way I am. I’m the same when I’m messing about on a computer game: I always want to win and I’ve always been like that. When that feeling leaves me it’ll be time to hang up my boots.”

Winning becomes habitual – it’s a habit United have momentarily surrendered but must quickly discover the knack of again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home