Will Power

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Fletcher Targets First-team Return

Darren Fletcher admits he will find it difficult to win a place back in United's team during the run-in.

The midfielder played the first half of the reserves' 0-0 draw with Arsenal at Old Trafford on Thursday night and told MUTV afterwards that, while he's itching to get involved, the performances of his colleagues in his absence have been exceptional.

Despite manager Sir Alex Ferguson's recent assertion that Fletcher will be one of his first-choices when fully fit, the Scot is refusing to take anything for granted.

"It was nice to hear that from the manager," he said on MUTV. "But it'll be hard to get back into the team as the lads have been fantastic. The lads have been different class. Everyone in the squad has played a part. We're in a great position with a month to go.

"I want to give myself a chance to give the manager another option and play some small part in the Premier League or Champions League. All I can ask for is a sub appearance or starting the odd game. I just want to be involved but it's a squad game."

Fletcher was laid low by a virus that caused concern at Old Trafford and, although he refused to rule it out completely, it seems unlikely he'll be thrust into Sunday's clash at Arsenal.

"The plan was always to play 45 minutes as the manager doesn't want me to push too quickly and set myself back," he explained. "I was always coming off but I feel good. Hopefully, I'll do a bit of training tomorrow and get my fitness back.

"It was a bad virus, it was maybe a week originally but it just escalated and is one of those things. I lost a bit of weight and had to put that weight back on so it was a long, slow process. It was originally a couple of weeks but ended up being longer.

"I don't want to rush too quickly. I'll speak to the doctor and the manager tomorrow and see how I feel and take it from there."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home