Will Power

Friday, July 22, 2011

Jones Eyeing Chance

Phil Jones feels he has already settled in at his new club as he bids to grab his first-team opportunity when it arises.

Sir Alex has admitted the biggest difficult in landing the Blackburn defender was convincing the England Under-21 international he would be afforded regular involvment in the matchday squad.

But Jones is realistic about his chances and confident enough to know he'll be ready to scrap for a place with his new team-mates.

"I'm training and playing with top-class players day in and day out," he told MUTV in an exclusive interview. "I know there's competition for places. It's up for grabs in every position and it's only healthy for the squad.

"I've got to keep training hard, working my way up. Eventually, I'll get my chance and I'll take it."

Jones has already been made to feel welcome after linking up with the squad in Seattle as he hopes to make his debut in the tour fixture with Chicago Fire.

"It's just sunk in," he admitted. "It took a while to sink in but I'm delighted to be here. It's a massive club, the best club in the world possibly and I'm just happy to be here.

"It was an unbelievable feeling when I picked the phone up and the boss said in his Scottish voice: 'It's Sir Alex'. The boss said he was interested and keen and things progressed from there so here I am now.

"It's what anyone dreams of, for that phone call to happen and I'm just delighted [to be here].

"The lads are quality. I'm just about settling in now and enjoying it. I think the lads have been brilliant and have made me feel very welcome so I feel really settled."

The versatile centre-back, who can also play in midfield, still lives with his parents so his feet are still firmly planted on the ground despite the high-profile transfer.

"No, I wouldn't want that to happen," he said about entertaining thoughts of stardom. "I still live with my family, I'm still 19 and it's happened at quite a young age but I'm just enjoying it.

"They [the family] keep me grounded and make sure I stay focused on my football.

"Obviously, I'm looking for a house at the moment in Manchester so I need to get a house as well at 19. It's crazy but I suppose that's football!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home