Will Power

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Obertan Departs For Newcastle

Gabriel Obertan has left United to join Newcastle on a five-year contract.

The French winger joins a growing band of his fellow countrymen on Tyneside after passing a medical with Alan Pardew's Magpies and agreeing terms.

Sir Alex signed the 22-year-old from Bordeaux in 2009 and he made his first-team debut in the Carling Cup win at Barnsley in October of that year. Obertan made 28 appearances in all, scoring once - in the Champions League against Bursaspor - and was a regular in the Reserves.

The deal with Newcastle was agreed after the wide man contributed during the US tour with an undisclosed fee being accepted by the Reds.

"I did not need to think too hard about coming here," he told the Tynesiders' official website. "I enjoyed my time at Manchester United but, at a club that size, there is so much competition.

"There's a lot of competition here too but I am looking forward to a fresh start.

"Manchester United are one of the biggest clubs in the world but Newcastle is a massive club in England so I'm looking forward to making my debut in front of the fans I've heard so much about."

Obertan will go straight into the squad for the season opener against Arsenal on Saturday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home