Will Power

Friday, November 25, 2011

Fletch: United Is My Home

Darren Fletcher speaks to United Review and ManUtd.com about the season so far and the Champions League...

How did it feel when you stepped out to make your 300th appearance for the club against Sunderland?
It was a great moment to reach such a milestone even though you treat it as just another game. The time has flown since my debut and I’ve enjoyed everything about playing for Manchester United. It’s all I’ve ever known and it’s become my home. It’s an achievement I want to build on. The next target has to be 350, then 400 and so on – you always want to keep going.

What’s the biggest thing you’ve learnt since making your debut?
The experience you pick up along the way is a massive thing. You hear people talk about it when you’re younger, but it’s only when you get older that you realise its importance. It’s about the different situations you go through on the pitch – you learn what it takes to succeed, what you need to do in certain matches and how to prepare for games so everything eventually becomes second nature. People have always told me to be myself too. There are so many great players you look up to, but you have to be your own player and your own man and have your own style. I’ve always tried to do that.

In terms of this season, how close are you to reaching your top form?
I feel good. I’ve felt good since the start of the season and I’m pleased with how things have gone. The more games you play the more sharpness you get and, like the rest of the team, I really want to kick on for the rest of the season.

How have the dynamics of the midfield changed since Scholesy’s retirement and how does the constant media talk of targets impact on the current midfielders?
Speculation is something that’s part and parcel of being a United player. I don’t think the way the team’s been playing has changed dramatically. Obviously Scholesy had a wonderful range of passing and could control the tempo of games, and as we get more experienced that’s something we’ll be looking to do. Manchester United always keeps moving forward - if one player leaves or retires the team is still in place. The manager has always kept things moving forward because they have to. This club never stands still.

What do you make of Barcelona president Sandro Rosell’s recent suggestion about dropping the number of domestic games to play more Champions League games at weekends?
I don’t think it will happen. The set-up we have now works perfectly. Everyone loves the Premier League and when the Champions League comes around it’s always special. I think we already have exactly the right mix and blend.

Having missed out on playing in three Champions League finals, how big is your desire to win the competition?
Playing in a final is still a goal that’s there for me. As a team we’re all desperate to get there again, I don’t think I’m particularly different from the rest in that sense. Some of the lads who have played in the last two are no doubt driven by their disappointment. The motivation is there for all of us and hopefully we can get there again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home