Will Power

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Carrick Focused On United Form

Michael Carrick is concentrating on continuing his excellent form at United rather than sweating on a place in England's Euro 2012 squad.

The classy midfielder has been one of the champions' stand-out performers this term and has earned lavish praise from Sir Alex Ferguson, who urged him to become the pivotal member of the team.

Despite revelling in his position as a senior figure at Old Trafford, the 30-year-old hasn't played for his country since the friendly against Mexico before the last World Cup, although he was on the bench for the European Championship qualifying double-header with Switzerland and Bulgaria in 2010.

"To be honest, it's not something I’ve thought about," Carrick said, when asked about the prospect of appearing in another major tournament. "I'm just concentrating on playing here and playing well. Whatever happens, happens. I haven’t been involved in the last few squads so I’m just concentrating on doing well here."

The former West Ham and Spurs star says his style hasn't altered even though he is finally starting to get the praise he deserves for his controlling influence in the middle of the park. The plaudits have arrived this season from all quarters, even though he feels he is not doing anything differently.

"I haven’t changed as a player," he insisted. "But maybe as you get older and gain more experience, that brings more responsibility. You're looked at slightly differently and that's fine, I’m comfortable with that.

"Yes, that's the way I’ve always played [as the fulcrum in a team]. I'm not going to change because situations change. You’ve got to do what you’re good at and keep improving.

"I enjoy the responsibility and, as you get older, maybe the younger players look at you in a different way. I’m comfortable with that."

Michael was speaking to ManUtd.com and PA Sport.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home