Will Power

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Evans Moving Forward

Jonny Evans says his increased presence in the attacking half of the pitch this season is down to his deployment on the right side of central defence.

It's not uncommon nowadays to see Evans bringing the ball out from the back, often striding deep into opposition territory. And the Northern Irishman has told ManUtd.com it's all down to his switch from the left to the right side of central defence.

"I've always played on the left side of defence," Evans said. "When I was growing up I was probably always a bit more capable of using my left foot than whoever was playing alongside me in the centre. So I always ended up on the left side.

"It's harder bringing the ball out of defence on your left side, though. When you're passing the ball five yards you're fine using your weaker foot. But if you're driving into space and dribbling forward, you ideally want the ball on your good side.

"This season I've been able to move to the right-hand side and I think that's helped me. I've definitely felt more comfortable bringing the ball out and starting attacks."

That Evans looks so composed on the ball during his forward forays shouldn't come as a surprise. After all, Jonny played in midfield before joining United's youth set-up.

"He's always had fantastic ability, even as a kid," Reds boss Sir Alex Ferguson said last weekend. "He was very talented as a boy when he came over here from Ireland at 12 years of age. We were never quite sure if he was going to be a midfield player or a centre-back."

That revelation was a surprise even to Jonny, who says he's only ever concentrated on defending during his time at United.

"That's the first time I've heard that!" he said. "When I was in Northern Ireland I played as a midfielder. But from the age of about 15, all I've done is played at the back. It was a big learning curve for me and it took me a while to get used to it.

"My first season at centre-back in the youth team wasn't a great experience for me. It was pretty similar to last season, in a way! I just had to find a way to get over that and carry on."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home