Will Power

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Rio Aims To Play On


Rio Ferdinand is proud of his 10-year association with United but has no thoughts of hanging up his boots this summer, instead joking he'd like to stay for another decade!

The defender has shone at Old Trafford since arriving from Leeds in 2002 and is aiming to win a sixth Premier League title this term. Yet the 33-year-old still has a hunger for more silverware and cementing his place in the club's hall of fame.

When asked about the prospect of possibly winning the league in more than half of his seasons at the club, he told ManUtd.com: "I still think about the ones we should have won. I have had a great time here. I love this club and I love being here. I love the history of the club. My association with the club will be there forever.

"I have great memories to take away from here when I do eventually hang my boots up. At the moment, I am really enjoying my football. The manager said to me the other day, not many players play for one club for 10 years any more. It doesn't happen. To do it at a club like Manchester United that are fighting for league titles and different trophies every year, when you sit back and look at it, it is good. But I don't dwell on things like that. I just concentrate on this year.

"Fingers crossed, we can add some more medals."

Ferdinand is fully focused on ensuring United win a record 20th title this time around and will be celebrating as wildly as anybody if Sir Alex's side maintain top spot in the table.

"You think it could be your last one or two [titles]," he admitted. "You don't know. I would want to go out on a high note.

"There are not many players who leave this club doing exactly what they want to do.

"You want to do it as hard as you can and finish on a good note because I don't think it would be good finishing your career with a loss, or by not winning something. The losses now do my head in. To think I wouldn't be able to rectify it the season after because I had retired or left would rankle. I am not thinking about retirement. I am trying to play as long as I can. I have another year after this and I want to do another 10!"

Rio was speaking to ManUtd.com, PA Sport and BBC Radio.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home