Will Power

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Kagawa Wants Central Role

Shinji Kagawa is eyeing an attacking midfield role for United once he completes his transfer to Old Trafford.

The 23-year-old usually plays on the left for Japan but believes he is most effective in the advanced central position he has occupied successfully for Borussia Dortmund.

"I want to play [in the hole]," Kagawa told a press conference in Tokyo. "I feel that's where I play my best football. I plan to work hard so I can win my place in the position.

"United are one of the biggest clubs in the world, and I have been given a chance to play for them. I took a lot of things into consideration, like the fact that they've got a deep squad, their style of football and it wasn't an easy decision. But I wanted the challenge."

Arsenal, Chelsea and Real Madrid were among the clubs reported to be interested in Kagawa, but the playmaker admits his heart was set on United.

"There were talks with other clubs, but United were the first to make me a formal offer and the more I talked to them, the more I felt Manchester was the place for me," he said.

Kagawa, who will seal his switch once he passes a medical and obtains a work permit, is looking forward to making the step up to the Premier League.

He added: "It's the best league in the world. You've got the world's biggest clubs like [Man] City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea all in the same league, which is fascinating.

"In the Bundesliga, the only games that compare are the ones against Bayern Munich. I feel like I'd be able to gain so much by playing big games on a regular basis, including the Champions League. I can't help but be excited."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home