Will Power

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Chicha Aided By Summer Break

Javier Hernandez is hoping for a bountiful season in front of goal for Manchester United, having enjoyed his first summer away from international football in three years.

Chicharito was an instant hit in England after signing from Chivas de Guadalajara in 2010, scoring 20 goals in his debut campaign. Unfortunately, an injury-hit second season did not live up to the same high standards, with the Mexican finding the net on just 12 occasions.

This summer, the 24 year-old took a break from international football - he was not part of Mexico's gold medal winning at the Olympics - and was consequently able to complete his first full pre-season training programme at Carrington. It's early days in 2012/13, but the striker says he's already feeling the benefits.

“My first season was very good for some people and for some people it was okay,” said Chicharito at a press conference ahead of Wednesday’s UEFA Champions League clash with Galatasaray.

“My second season was okay for some people and very bad for others. Me? I'm happy and I'm enjoying my football. I just hope that this summer's break helps a lot.

“I had a proper rest and had my first pre-season with the team, so it's going to help my fitness. I'm the happiest player in the world to play for this club.

“I'm always ready if the boss asks me to start or be on the bench. I'm focussed on the most important thing - the game tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it.”

The Galatasaray match marks United's return to Europe’s top table after failing to progress past the group stage of the competition last season. On that subject, Chicharito speaks with the same focus as his manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

“We know the history of this club," said the Mexican. "We know we have to aim for the top in every competition. We always look to the Champions League final and we try and win it. That's the only thing in our mind. We want to prove we can win and not make the same mistakes as we did last season.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home