Will Power

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Cleverley Eyes More Goals


Tom Cleverley hopes his first senior goal for the Reds, in Wednesday's League Cup win over Newcastle, will now spark a flurry of goals for the midfielder.

Cleverley's excellent 58th-minute strike proved to be the decisive goal in an entertaining tie at Old Trafford as Sir Alex's men ran out 2-1 winners.

The 23-year-old admitted the drought in front of goal has been playing on his mind, especially after he struck the ball wide in the first half after being put clean through. But he hopes that having finally broken his duck, the floodgates will now open.

"It's been playing on my mind a little bit because I've always scored goals when I've gone out on loan but I've not been doing it for my club and country," he told MUTV.

"The gaffer gave me a bit [of stick] at half-time for missing the chance in the first half so it was nice to stroke that one in. Hopefully that sets me off on a run now.

"I practice those sorts of finishes a lot in training with Rene [Meulensteen] and when it came to me from Welbs [Danny Welbeck] I always knew what I was going to do. Luckily it found the back of the net. I've got that first one now and hopefully more will come."

Cleverley was full of praise for his fellow youngsters on the night, four of which made their senior debuts.

"It was quite a young team but I thought everyone did fantastically well," added the England international.

"I think all the young lads can be pleased with their performance – there won't be many tougher strike forces to play against than Newcastle's in a physical sense.

"It was fantastic to have both Wazza [Wayne Rooney] and Fletch [Darren Fletcher] back as well," he continued. "Fletch is a big-game player who can bring positive things to any squad in the world and Wazza came back and put in a great performance.

"We've been a bit unlucky with injuries but that's what we've got a squad for – as players get injured, others are coming back. There is good competition in the squad at the moment and we're winning games so it's all good."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home