Will Power

Monday, September 24, 2012

Evra Elated By Anfield Win

Patrice Evra was understandably thrilled to collect the three points at Liverpool after the Reds came from behind to win at Anfield for the first time since 2007.

The defender felt respect was the key word in difficult circumstances on Merseyside as tributes were paid to the 96 fans who tragically lost their lives at Hillsborough.

"It's unbelievable," he enthused to MUTV. "To be fair, I always say one of the best sensations is when we win at Anfield.

"We've been coming here for four years [almost five years], a long time and I've not been seeing a dressing room like that with smiles on the faces after the game. I want to win against Liverpool. If I play badly or play well, I just want to win and that is what we did."

Evra shrugged off the pre-match talk about his handshake with Luis Suarez to instead focus on the bigger picture.

"It was not an easy game," he stressed. "There was a lot of tension and emotion beforehand and, in the end, we get the three points. It's all we talk about - winning - because we have done our job and well done to everyone.

"I think the most important word today was respect because it was a game between two big clubs that have both had big tragedies. That's why, although a lot of people were talking about me shaking hands with Suarez, the story of the clubs is bigger than that. It's why I think if I didn't shake his hand, I didn't respect the story of both clubs.

"In the end, this time, he shook my hand and it was more important to respect the families who lost a lot of people."

Rafael and Robin van Persie's goals brought praise from the full-back as his team-mates made the difference.

"When you are losing 1-0 at Anfield, it's really difficult to recover," he explained. "It came straight away and what a goal! Rafael is different class and he scored with his left foot so I'm so happy for him!

"I said to Rafa I think he deserves it as he's working very hard. It's difficult to find a place now in this XI as the boss has many players who want to play. He said today it was a game for men and we showed that. I think we showed great character. I don't think we played especially well but we showed big character and that was most important today.

"I was anxious for the penalty. The player [Daniel Agger] was on the floor and taking his time and I was like: 'Whoah, what's going on here?' When Robin shoots, Pepe Reina went the right way but I think it was a good penalty with power and that's why he scored. It's why we buy some big players - for big games - and we need them."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home