Will Power

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Rooney Targets Bobby Charlton's Goal-scoring Record

Wayne Rooney has set himself the challenge of surpassing Sir Bobby Charlton's goalscoring exploits for both club and country.

Rooney, with 32 goals to his name for England, needs 17 more to emulate Charlton's international tally and another 64 to match the former midfield legend's Old Trafford haul.

"Sir Bobby holds both records so that's a great challenge," Rooney told Shortlist magazine. "The guy is a legend and is such a presence around the club.

"If I could break his record as Manchester United's top goalscorer and maybe even England's. That is such a great incentive.

"I want to play as long as I can and to have shared a dressing room with the

likes of Giggsy and Paul Scholes is inspiration to do just that. At least another 10 years would be great.

"I can see myself one day moving back into midfield - I can do it - but I'm not ready yet. I'm a centre-forward and I score goals.

"I feel I have plenty of goals left in me. I'll play in midfield if I have to and I have done so at United, but goals are still my main aim and the biggest part of my game."

Rooney missed the midweek international friendly in Sweden but is expected to be back in the United ranks for the weekend visit to Norwich.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home