Will Power

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Welbeck Bides His Time

Danny Welbeck has had to be patient for first-team, but the young striker told United Review he must be ready to take his chance when it comes…

How would you assess your season so far?
It’s been a bit stop-start. I’ve not been playing in my favoured position up front – I’ve been on the wing in most games – so it’s been different to last season, when I played mostly as a striker. But I’m enjoying it, the team is playing well and we’re in a great position in the league, which is the most important thing.

In terms of game time, is it just a case of being patient?
Yes, it’s important not to lose patience and make sure I work just as hard on the training pitch – do extra work, in fact – so that when the time comes and I get the nod, I’m match-fit and game-ready.

Everyone has been talking about our incredible attacking options, which include four top strikers. What is it like to be a part of that?
This is the best club in the world, so it’s exciting to be involved and I’m picking up some great experience training with the other strikers. With four to choose from, the manager knows whoever he puts out will be a threat; the calibre of players he has at his disposal can only be good for the team.

Each of you has different qualities – what are you learning from the other three?
I see all their abilities at first hand on the training pitch every day, and the fans watch the same thing in matches. Robin’s ability and guile were obvious straight away. He’s world-class, and not just for his goalscoring ability – his hold-up play is superb. It’s easy to watch and learn from Wazza’s movement and all-round game. Chicha’s just a great person to be around and he’s a brilliant finisher. They all have strengths in abundance that I can add to my own game.

The manager said recently that in two years’ time you’ll be a “top, top player”. Is that nice to hear?
I wasn’t aware of that! But yes, it’s definitely nice to hear that from the boss; it’s encouraging and makes me determined to prove him right. I wouldn’t be at this club if I were not prepared to work as hard as I can to improve and become the best player I can be. So I’ll continue to knuckle down and try to reach that level.

So you must be happy to have signed a long-term contract…
Yes, I’m delighted to be at Manchester United for the next few years, but that doesn’t mean I’m going to sit back and rest. I’m going to keep working hard for my place in the team. To be playing here is a dream for lots of Mancunian lads like me and many other kids around the world. I’m happy and I’m determined not to let anybody down.

What are your aims for 2013?
I haven’t really sat back and thought about it, but I do know there are no limits to what you can achieve if you keep pushing and doing your best. I want to be playing for Manchester United, scoring goals and, above all, enjoying myself.

Danny answers the fans

Welbeck fields questions sent in by Reds supporters around the world...

Which player names were on the back of your shirts as a kid?
I had ‘Welbz’, but no players. If I could have had anyone, it would have been Giggs as I idolised him. I liked Thierry Henry, too, but that wouldn’t have gone down too well on a United shirt!

What’s your favourite goal you’ve scored in your career?
I’d say my first goal for United, on my league debut against Stoke [November 2008] – that was a special moment for me and I was pleased with the strike. After that, my first goal for England against Belgium at Wembley in June.

Which Reds would you want on your side in a snowball fight?
I’d have to go with someone with a good throw, so David De Gea. He has massive hands as well – if he hits you with one of his snowballs, it’s hurting! I’d pick Antonio Valencia, too, as he has big arms and I reckon his snowballs would go straight through you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home