Will Power

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Robin Scoops Goal Prize

Not surprisingly, Robin van Persie's stunning volley against Aston Villa has been named Goal of the Season at the club's annual awards dinner.

The strike was the second goal of the Dutchman's brilliant first-half hat-trick in last month's 3-0 victory which also clinched a 20th league title for the Reds.

Van Persie, whose goal received 70% of the total votes, had put United ahead after just two minutes, before his sublime finish on 13 minutes.

Wayne Rooney collected the ball in his own half before floating a magnificent 40-yard pass into the path of van Persie whose first-time left-foot volley flew past Brad Guzan. On the goal, Robin said recently: "It was instinct. I looked up and thought: 'This ball is so nice, it's too beautiful to take a touch.' Had it been half a metre to the left or right I couldn't have hit it.

Wayne and I had been talking about playing balls in behind the right centre-back all week. We'd talked about it in training almost every day, then before the game Wayne said: 'Robin, don't forget that ball, I'll give you that ball today.' And it was the perfect pass, it was phenomenal. All I had to do was time my run correctly. In the last second I decided to hit it and I was lucky everything fitted together."

Robin beat off competition from Rafael and Wayne Rooney to win the Goal of the Season prize after polling 70% of the votes. Rafael's belter away at QPR was second with Wayne Rooney's long-range effort in the home win over Norwich finishing third.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home