Will Power

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Welbeck Eyes Central Role

Danny Welbeck has revealed his long-term aim is to nail down a central striking position for David Moyes' United.

The forward is likely to be in contention for a centre-forward position in England's upcoming friendlies against Republic of Ireland and Brazil but spent much of last season in a wider role for the Reds.

It limited his goal output to just two, although he did memorably net in the draw at Real Madrid and was a key contributor the title-winning team, performing a number of tactical functions and often offering pace and energy, as well as defending from the front.

Welbeck's other strike was against Stoke at league level but he scored three times for England during the campaign and Sir Alex Ferguson accepted that he always looks likely to hit the target when representing his country and leading the line.

"This season has been the most number of matches I have played and my performances have been a lot more consistent but the goals return has not been good at all," the 22-year-old admitted to MUTV recently.

"I do feel if, I can get a better goals return, I will be flying. I want to be up front and scoring goals.

"If I am playing on the wings, I still want to score more goals but, preferably, I will be up front and scoring goals there."

After winning his first title medal, Welbeck is keen to impress Moyes when the new manager officially takes up the reins this summer.

"It's something words don't really describe," he said about becoming a title winner. "To finally do it is something I'm really proud of.

"We've got a new manager coming in and I'm sure everyone is looking forward to working with him. It's just exciting times and I can't wait to get started."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home