Will Power

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

RVP: My First Year At United

In an Inside United interview, Robin van Persie selected his 20 favourite moments from an epic debut 2012/13 season with United. Click the image to launch a gallery...

1. OT arrival “I remember I was very excited on this day. I was buzzing about this new challenge. I was living off the adrenaline!”

2. First training session “Training started late while I finished a few medical tests before I could officially train. I couldn’t wait to get out on the pitch, though.”

3. First game (Everton 1 United 0) “I came on with a tough 20 minutes to go at Everton. Even though we lost it was still a great day. I was proud to make my debut.”

4. OT debut (United 3 Fulham 2) “It was a dream start, scoring after 10 minutes of my home debut. What a day. I played 90 minutes but I admit I struggled after an hour!”

5. Hat-trick hero (S'ton 2 United 3) “A crazy game but we never gave up. I apologised in the dressing room for missing the penalty. It was a great win, it felt significant.”

6. Anfield winner (Liverpool 1 United 2) “This time, I made sure of my penalty. It was great to score the winner. I didn’t have my best game but it felt good to beat Liverpool.”

7. Euro double (Cluj 1 United 2) “It was a fantastic Wazza pass for my second at Cluj. The keeper came towards me and I just guided it past him. It spun into the net beautifully.”

8. Take it to the Bridge (Chelsea 2 United 2) “I love playing against Chelsea and I’ve scored all my goals against them at Stamford Bridge. It’s a great place to play, and win.”

9. Gunner get you (United 2 Arsenal 1) “A weird day. I should’ve scored two. I’d never played against a former team so scoring was strange. But you have a job to do.”

10. Derby day (City 2 United 3) “Wayne and I discussed what to do at the free-kick. Shoot or cross? My shot deflected off the wall past Hart. You can’t get luckier than that!”

11. Hammer blow (West Ham 2 United 2) “A late goal. Giggsy’s pass was unbelievable. I didn’t break stride. I had a good first touch and decent finish to earn a replay.”

12. Earn your Spurs (Spurs 1 United 1) “It was snowing, cold and they nicked a draw. I scored from Cleverley’s great cross, but it’s the result I remember more.”

13. Toffees broken (United 2 Everton 0) “My goal was a bit lucky to make it 2-0. It went in and we were relieved because we’d of what happened in the 4-4 draw the year before.”

14. Real deal (Real Madrid 1 United 1) “One of football’s most iconic stadiums; my first time there. We had chances to win (including me) and we needed to win really.”

15. Hard to take (United 1 Real 2) “A harsh red card for Nani. It was a blow, everything up to that moment was right. Everyone got behind us and the atmosphere was electric.”

16. Stoked to score (Stoke 0 United 2) “The lads gave me stick for my celebration but I wanted to share the moment. Sir Alex has been a joy to work with.”

17. Cheering on Spurs “I cheered for Spurs against City. Can you believe it? An ex-Arsenal player wanted Spurs to win! We knew the title was one game away.”

18. That goal (United 3 Villa 0) “It was instinct. I looked up and thought: ‘This ball is so nice. It’s too beautiful to take a touch’. Everything was exactly as I wanted it to be.”

19. Trophy time “This is for the fans, players and staff. What I really like is it’s made so many people happy. Kids, babies, women, men – they’re all so happy.”

20. Awards night “Winning [Player of the Year] is fantastic. Being involved with the guys has made such an impact on me. They’re a pleasure to work with.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home