Will Power

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Moyes Happy With HK Workout

David Moyes was pleased with another good pre-season workout for his players in Monday's 5-2 win over Kitchee FC on a testing pitch in hot Hong Kong conditions.

Danny Welbeck, Chris Smalling, Fabio, Adnan Januzaj and Jesse Lingard were all on target at Hong Kong Stadium on the last outing of Tour 2013, presented by Aon, before the Reds return home to complete preparations for the new season.

Moyes is pleased with the progress his squad is making ahead of 2013/14's big kick-off next month. "I thought our players played very well on a difficult pitch," he said at his post-match press conference. "I think we made it look like a good pitch. I thought we played well and it was an exciting game for the supporters to see.

"We didn't worry too much about the pitch conditions at all. We played well. We move on now. We're trying to get the players fit for the start of the season and it was another hard workout in hot conditions. I'm happy with it. Now we return to the UK and we're ready to go to Sweden in a few days' time."

Next the Reds face AIK Fotboll in Stockholm on Tuesday 6 August where several other first-team stars are scheduled to return to action before the season's curtain-raiser against Wigan Athletic at Wembley in the Community Shield.

For now, though, as the squad flies back to the UK, the new United boss can reflect on a useful and eye-opening experience in his first month in the job.

"I've taken away a great experience of my first tour and what this club means around the world," the Scot added. "I've also got to know the players and I've settled in to my new environment. The players have been working with a great manager for a long time and they've got to know me.

"It will take time [but] I've enjoyed working with them. I can see why they're champions - the way they conduct themselves and the way they go about their business.

"I've known these players because I've watched them over the last few years. But to see the young players - Adnan, Lingard and Zaha - who I didn't know so much about, I think they'll go away thinking they've come here and contributed to it."

"In the first half, we were very good. Kitchee came into the game more in the second half. I hope their players enjoyed it and the crowd enjoyed the game."



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home