Will Power

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Progress Pleases Boss

David Moyes was delighted with United's response to the defeat at Manchester City as Liverpool were overcome in the third round of the Capital One Cup.

The Reds set up a home date with Norwich City next month with a 1-0 victory over the Merseysiders to avenge the loss by the same scoreline at Anfield earlier in the campaign.

It was particularly pleasing that some of the players who have not had too much chance to impress during the early weeks of the season were able to contribute to the victory that was secured by Javier Hernandez's 46th-minute winner.

"It was a big game for us," admitted Moyes. "We lost at Anfield a few weeks ago and at the Etihad last week, so we wanted to put that right. Every game everyone says about me, it's the first at something or a monkey off my back or something else. It's going to be the way. I thought it was a really good game - an exciting game of football between the two teams.

"If you look at the first game [between us] and this game, they were both won by set-pieces and there was not an awful lot in the games. Obviously I made a lot of changes tonight as well and made sure we used the squad and it was good to see some of them get some playing time.

"It was certainly not a risk with the players I have got at Manchester United. All are international players and all of them are first-team players. There is no first team and Reserves - everyone can play in the team. Some of the performances were exceptional tonight, they really were, and they had to be.

"I thought it was a brilliant atmosphere at Old Trafford tonight. I've come to a lot of games here before but tonight was a brilliant atmosphere. It was a great cup tie and the supporters have done great. I'm just pleased to get the game won."

Clearly, the derby defeat stung the manager and his staff but he is convinced that the Reds can embark on a winning run, starting with Saturday's home encounter with West Brom.

"It's not frustrating," he said of the start. "I'm certain I'll fix it and turn it around. No doubt about that.

"I think it was important that we showed the whole club were hurt by the game on Sunday. We didn't perform to our levels but the players have done a great job to get us a big result and I'm really pleased with it.

"It (the start) was really tough. Nothing has changed. I said that. Now we've got games we've got to show we are capable of winning. We've got to do that in the next month or so. We know we've got to improve. I'm getting to know them and they're a really good team that won the Premier League last year but we need to make sure we are looking to improve as well."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home