Will Power

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Valencia Explains Shirt Shift

Antonio Valencia has revealed for the first time why he has reverted back to the no.25 shirt during an exclusive interview with MUTV.

The winger was outstanding in the 4-2 defeat of Bayer Leverkusen in midweek and scored the final goal after creating Robin van Persie's hooked effort that regained the lead for the Reds.

Ahead of the Manchester derby, Valencia spoke to MUTV's Countdown to Kick-Off show and explained the motivation behind his decision to change numbers. Both David Moyes and Sir Alex Ferguson feel the wide man has benefited psychologically from ditching the no.7 jersey vacated by Michael Owen's departure in 2012.

"I think it turned out to be a very good number for me when I first arrived at the club as I was just given the no.25 more or less," he said.

"But things went really, really well. I played well wearing that shirt so I think it was a decision I came to in the summer. Maybe if I can get back to the form I showed before, why not? It is a good idea to start wearing it again.

"It had been something I had been thinking about for quite a long time. I'd been considering a change back and maybe it is psychological or maybe it is just all about a good-luck symbol, if you like. We get a lot of that in Ecuador, maybe superstition, and l hope it continues and still brings me more good luck this season."

Sir Alex told MUTV on Thursday: "Antonio was back to his best [on Tuesday]. Changing the number of his jersey again - it's amazing how it can affect a player like that.

"Maybe it was a great thing for him to do that. He used his initiative to go back to 25 and was fantastic."

Valencia also confirmed that his celebration on Tuesday night was a tribute to former Ecuador team-mate Christian 'Chucho' Benitez, who sadly lost his life at the tender age of 27 in the summer.

"It was terrible that he passed away a couple of months ago," stated the winger. "He wasn't just a friend but like a brother to me and I dedicated the tattoo to him. That first goal celebration and every other goal that I celebrate hopefully this season, I'll be dedicating to him also. It was just a huge shock to everyone."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home