Will Power

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Evra Enjoys Cup Thrill


Patrice Evra says he "has never played in conditions like that" after helping Manchester United to a 2-0 Capital One Cup win over Stoke City amid blustery winds and intermittent hailstorms at the Britannia Stadium on Wednesday.

The Reds successfully navigated a tricky quarter-final tie against the Potters and booked a place in the last four of the competition against Sunderland in January.

Evra's goal 12 minutes from time in the tie - unique in that it was his first for United with his less-favoured right foot - put the seal on victory against Mark Hughes' men. And the Frenchman was unsure what surprised him most: his right-footed strike or the weather.

"I've never played in conditions like that," he told MUTV. "It was really difficult and that's why we have to give a lot of credit to everyone because it's not easy when you go to a place like Stoke - it's a big battle. To win 2-0 and keep a clean sheet, we have to be really pleased with that performance.

"[The weather] was punishing. When we came out [after play stopped] we were a bit sloppy. That's why, in the second half, the manager wanted us to start much better. When the rain and hail stopped we kept playing our football. That was important, we kept playing the ball on the floor. That made the difference."

Ashley Young gave United the lead after 62 minutes with a rasping drive into Thomas Sorensen’s net, then Evra charged upfield to join an attack and finished off the move by curling his shot into the top corner.

"I am really pleased, but I think it is an accident," he joked. "I said to Ash that I would come inside, ask for the ball and I tried to shoot with my right foot. A lot of players might say, 'maybe you should cross the ball', but I am really pleased because I scored one goal in France with my right foot.

"Normally I only use my right foot to get onto the bus! I am happy, but I am more pleased about the clean sheet. We have three wins and three clean sheets in a row and you can see the Manchester United mentality, the winning mentality. That spirit, that's really important."

Evra won't be suffering a rush of blood to the head, however, as he knows his priority is to assist his fellow defenders.

"I always say that I have played for many years at United and I know I can score more goals," he said. "But I am a defender and my first job is to defend. The name of the game now is to play with a clean sheet because, when we do that, we know we can win the game. It's a strong performance. So now we are really focused on Saturday [against West Ham]."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home