Will Power

Monday, January 27, 2014

Mata Admires Reds' Character


Juan Mata has admitted that he was attracted to Manchester United because of the club’s character and history.

The Spanish midfielder has joined the Reds from Chelsea and was officially unveiled as a United player during a press conference at the Aon Training Complex on Monday.

While addressing a number of issues, including the announcement that he will wear the no.8 shirt, Mata spoke brilliantly about the club's illustrious past and the Reds' reputation for overcoming the odds.

"What I like the most about this club is the character," Mata said. "It would be very difficult for us to come back and take the first position but this is the club that could do that. They fight to the end and that's the image I have of them. They always try to win titles; they fight until the end and come back from difficult moments."

Expanding on his point, Mata added: "I want to show the football I have inside me. That's what I want to do. I think the team is good, the squad is good. This season they've had some unlucky moments. I hope from now until the end of the season we win as many games as we can."

Mata has joined United in the middle of a difficult season with the Reds currently seventh in the Barclays Premier League, 14 points off the top. However, the World Cup winner is confident that his new team-mates can turn things around in the coming months.

"This is a massive club," the 25-year-old explained. "The training ground, the fans and the club - everything is massive and I'm glad to be here. In the history of the Premier League, they're the team who have won the most trophies. I think it will be great.

"I like the pressure. I think it's good to try and improve when you have pressure - people are expecting big things from me and I'm looking forward to trying to do that and make all these amazing fans happy."

Now, having come through the hectic 48 hours that preceded Monday's unveiling, Mata is keen to start his new life with United: "The history of the club, the players in the squad and the welcome was unbelievable for me.

"Coming here by helicopter, the welcome from the staff, the players and the fans on social media has been unbelievable. Now I just want to play and try my best for the team to give this confidence back.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home