Will Power

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Davies: Rvp Should Speak To Team

Van Persie has hit the headlines since United's latest setback on Tuesday night after he appeared to question the positioning of some of his team-mates.

"It was quite difficult because my team-mates are often in the area where I want to play," the Dutchman said. "That's why I have to change my tactics. Unfortunately, they are often in my area."

As a striker himself, Davies found the comments strange from a player he regards as one of the best in the business.

He told TEAMtalk: "I could understand that comment coming from someone else but from him, who I regard as one of the most intelligent football players around - he's got a very quick brain, he's got fantastic technique, he's world class - it seems a bit like sour grapes.

"If he's got an issue then for the benefit of the team he should discuss that with the players and coaching staff. The video analysis team can clip up whatever he needs. If it's the forward unit or the midfield unit (causing the issue), get them in the meeting and discuss it with the manager. He is mature enough and experienced enough to do that.

"I've certainly had issues over the years where I've felt there's something not right or players that have come in haven't settled so I've called a meeting with the whole squad and asked if everyone knows where they're supposed to be playing. They've said 'no' so I've told the manager we need to work on it more.

"Having won the league last season obviously the players are all frustrated but Van Persie is one with all that experience that should be giving input back to the team and back to the manager.

"I'm sure David Moyes and all of his staff would be wanting to use all of his advice.

"It's not all about you, it's about the team, and that's the only disappointing thing about Van Persie's comment."

Moyes has come in for plenty of criticism throughout the season for the tactics he has used but Davies insists the onus is ultimately on the players to produce - regardless of the system they are playing in.

He added: "I don't worry too much about formations, football is about everyone being on the same wavelength and everyone knowing what they're doing.

"Of course formations count but it's all about the players at the end of the day going out there and putting everything into practice. Formations are just too easy to hide behind."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home