Will Power

Monday, March 24, 2014

Büttner: Wayne's Goal No Fluke

Alex Büttner wasn’t surprised by Wayne Rooney’s wonder-goal at West Ham on Saturday and says he hopes to be sharing the pitch with the no.10 more often.

Büttner made only his seventh start this season for Manchester United – and his first in the league since September – so had a close-up view of Rooney’s spectacular long-range lob.

The goal has had many observers drawing comparisons with David Beckham’s strike at Selhurst Park on the opening day of the 1996/97 season, but Büttner says it’s the sort of thing Rooney does regularly away from the cameras.

“He scores a lot of goals like that in training,” the Dutch defender said. “He scores unbelievable goals all the time, not just in matches. Still, even though you know he’s capable of it you don’t expect what we saw [at West Ham]. It was brilliant… unbelievable.”

Büttner, who is likely to start against Bayern Munich at Old Trafford in the absence of the suspended Patrice Evra, was delighted to be back in action for the first team on Saturday.

“It was a good feeling. It’s a long time since I played a game so it was good for me to play today. I feel good.

“I think defensively I did well. I didn’t lose any one-against-ones. For me, that was the thing I wanted to focus on - my defending – and I think I did a good job.

“For me, [Bayern Munich] will be one of the biggest games I’ve ever played in. I’m looking forward to playing. I think everybody dreams to play against them – me as well – and because I train hard I know my chances will come.”

Although Evra won’t feature in the home leg against Bayern, Büttner expects the Frenchman to play a big part in the pre-match preparations.

“I don’t know if people saw this, but before the game at West Ham, Patrice spoke with me for about five minutes on the pitch. He helped me a lot.

“It’s not like he was hoping I wouldn’t do well. He helps me every day and I appreciate that. He’s been in football for many years and I’ve only been here for two years. In England the football is difficult and Patrice has helped me a lot.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home